Exciting news! Rick Cole, CNU’s new executive director will be coming to Wisconsin Monday, October 11 through Wednesday, October 13.
On Monday, October 11, events kick off with a discussion and tour of Madison’s Capitol East district, an opportunity to explore the area’s remarkable renaissance in the decade since leading urbanists from across the U.S. and beyond gathered in Madison for CNU’s annual Congress.
New Urbanism in Madison’s Capitol East District
- 3:00- 6:00 p.m.
- Event starts at Breese Stevens Field, 917 E. Mifflin St.
- Register now
On Tuesday, October 12 the action will move to Milwaukee with a midday event at the UW-Milwaukee School of Architecture and Urban Planning:
- The Innovative Cities Lecture Series: Rick Cole
Engelmann 105 – 2033 East Hartford Ave, Milwaukee, WIMore info
Late Tuesday afternoon the focus will be on the Deer District and RiverWalk: how visionary urban plans laid the foundation for the current success and extraordinary potential of areas previously known for their elevated freeway and neglected riverfront.
Downtown Turnarounds: Insider Tours of the Deer District and Riverwalk
- Led by Michael Belot, Senior Vice President of Bucks Ventures and Development, Milwaukee Bucks; Alyssa Remington, Riverwalk manager, Department of City Development, Milwaukee; special remarks by Jeff Polenske, Commissioner of Public Works, Milwaukee.
- 4:30 p.m. Meet and greet with Rick Cole; pick up headsets
- Deer District connector plaza (meet outside Insomnia Cookies)
- Sign-up now to reserve your place and headset (supplies limited)
Come for the tours and stay for the drinks and conversation.
Late Wednesday morning, non-profit leaders will gather in the redeveloped Westlawn neighborhood of the Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee with the Institute for Systems Change to explore how new urbanism can strengthen both existing work and new collaborations.
Equity and Change in our Urban Spaces
A lunch at Westlawn Gardens
11am – 1pm
- Featuring: Paul Williams, Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee; Rick Cole, National Executive Director, Congress for the New Urbanism; Sylvia N. Wilson, PhD, Program Director, Teens Grow Greens; Tim Ehlinger, PhD, W.C. Kohler Chair, Institute for Systems Change and Peacebuilding
- RSVP required and limited attendance, mask required.
- For questions email Anna Opgenorth firstname.lastname@example.org .
We look forward to seeing you for these exciting opportunities with Rick Cole and urbanist leaders to advance the cause of placemaking and community building in Wisconsin. Register now.